What are the most common problems with the ear?
1. Inner ear infections are the most common cause of ear problems, especially with kids
2. Wax build-up
3. Swimmers ear
4. Ringing in the ears, also known as Tinnitus
5. Hearing loss
6. Meniere’s disease, fluid build-up in the ear causing dizziness
What are the common signs and symptoms of ear disorders?
Well that depends…
- Ear infections usually cause pain in the ear, or both ears. Sometimes people can have a fever too. You can have drainage either yellow, clear or bloody coming from your ear or ears.
- With wax build-up people may have some hearing loss or feel as though they have fullness in their ear or ears.
- With swimmer’s ear you might have an “itchy” sensation, some drainage in your ear, or ears, and you can have some pain, and fullness too. You can have some mild hearing loss.
- Hearing loss is exactly what it sounds like, you have
- Meniere’s disease; the main symptom is dizziness. Along with the dizziness you can also have some nausea and vomiting. You can lose your balance, and also have a sense of fullness in the ear or ears. Sometimes you can have ringing in your ears too.
How do you fix ear problems?
It depends on what symptoms you have…
If you have any of the above symptoms you should be evaluated. All of the above symptoms and diagnoses, with two exceptions, can be evaluated and treated remotely via telehealth. The exceptions are wax build-up which can be initially treated at home with Debrox drops and allowing the wax to get soft, and with gentle irrigation the wax usually works itself out on its own without intervention.
Hearing loss is the second exception and you will need a hearing test, which we can help provide information, and a referral as needed. We can also help you find a local audiologist to get a hearing test performed. On occasion you might be referred to an ear, nose and throat specialist, again we can provide you the referral.
April 8, 2023