Is nausea a symptom or a sign?
Nausea is a symptom you can have. It is a painless uneasiness feeling of the stomach, like a sensation of an urge to vomit. It can come on all of a sudden, or can be gradual.
What causes nausea for no reason?
- Food poisoning or stomach flu
- Pregnancy, especially in the early stages (morning sickness)
- Medication side effects
- Motion sickness
- Intense or unpleasant smells
- Ingestion of toxins or excessive amount of alcohol
How do you make nausea go away?
- Drink large amounts of water or clear fluids
- Drink an oral rehydration solution, such as Pedialyte, to prevent and treat dehydration
- Avoid eating solid foods until nausea or vomiting has improved: rest your stomach!!
- Eat light, bland foods, such as saltine crackers or bread, when feeling less nauseated
- Avoid eating fried, greasy, or sweet foods until nausea has improved
- Avoid physical activity after eating
**Nausea can also be treated with medications called “antiemetics”. This medication is a prescription that can easily be diagnosed and treated via telehealth!!
When should I be concerned about nausea?
- If there is blood in the vomit, appearing bright red or “coffee grounds”
- Severe headache or stiff neck
- Lethargy, confusion, or decreased alertness
- Severe abdominal pain
- Rapid breathing or pulse
April 8, 2023