If you are motivated and willing to work hard towards weight loss, you have already achieved your first two steps for success according to the Mayo Clinic. Once you’re prepared to begin your weight loss journey to obtain a healthy and optimal BMI (body mass index) for yourself, you’re ready to sit down and set realistic goals. It is a good idea to consult a healthcare provider, personal trainer, and/or nutritionist when making your goals. They can help you understand not only what an optimal weight for your body type is but also ensure you’re on a healthy path getting there.
While the numerous popular diets, juice cleanses, and flashy workout programs may
catch your eye, it is more important to focus on two main factors that will be more sustainable
long term: a regular workout schedule and finding a healthy eating pattern.
A maintainable workout schedule is imperative to achieving your optimal weight.
Aerobic exercise, for a minimum of 30 minutes 4+ days a week, is suggested by the Mayo Clinic
for losing body fat. Brisk walking, swimming, yoga, and biking are all examples of exercise
choices but it’s important to talk to your doctor about what is best for your body, especially if
you have any prior medical conditions or injuries.
The Mayo Clinic recommends the following changes be made to your diet:
- Reducing total daily calorie intake
- Minimum 4 servings vegetables/day
- Minimum 3 servings fruit/day
- Substitute with whole grain foods
- Focus on healthy fats (avocados, nuts, etc)
- If you are feeling stuck, need support, or have any questions regarding your weight loss journey, do not hesitate to reach out to your health care provider. They will have many resources, support groups, as well as nutritionist recommendations to share with you and can assist you on your path to finding a healthier lifestyle.
This article reviewed by Dr. Jim Liu, MD and Ms. Deb Dooley, APRN.
There’s nothing more important than our good health – that’s our principal capital asset.
#medical #telehealth #weightloss #umedoc
February 6, 2023
February 1, 2023
January 30, 2023